Senior Horsemaster’s Course 1
The Course is designed to provide:
- expand upon the subjects covered in BSM. It is not mandatory to complete BSM before starting SHM1.
- the preparation for Senior Horsemaster’s Course 2 (SHM2). It is not mandatory to complete SHM 1 before starting SHM2.
SHM 1 is ideal for:
- Any student upon completion of the Basic Stable Management course (BSM). Although there are similarities in course content,
SHM1 goes into greater depth than BSM.
- Any student with at least one year’s experience with horses.
- Preparation for BHS Stages 2 and 3 or the Pearson (BTEC) Level 3 Diploma in Horse Management
|Academic Level:||Further Education Level 2 and 3|
|Number of units/modules:||9|
|Study Hours per Unit:||10|
|Course Duration:||Maximum of 12 months to complete course requirements|
|Study Week Requirements:||Optional Stable Management Study Week|
The course is divided into modules which consist of:
- Detailed illustrated text.
- In-text questions for you to answer and in-text activities to complete as you work through the material. Separate answer sheets are provided at the end of each module.
- One work assignment per module.
- Referring to the course material, you complete the work assignments at your own pace and submit each in turn for marking and assessment. Your work is carefully checked by qualified tutors, graded where appropriate and returned to you with detailed feedback.
- English speaking
- aged 14 or more – there is no upper age limit
- interested in learning more about horse care and management
Module / Unit Details
This is a TOCES Certificate course. You will be awarded a graded TOCES certificate upon completion of the course. This will be of value to prospective employers as well as to you personally as it reflects your commitment to study. Please note that although TOCES Certificate courses do not result in a validated qualification, the course material is of the same high standard as our validated programmes through BTEC, the BHS and City and Guilds.
Study from home or school
Fit study in around your current commitments and while you gain practical experience in the equine industry.
Full course support
Our dedicated student support tutors are available to assist you throughout your studies. Keep in touch with fellow students too!
Learn while you earn
Continue to work full, part time or volunteer!
Module 1 The Stabled Horse
Yard routine,stable construction, bedding, grooming, clipping, trimming, clothing, boots, bandages, behavioural abnormalities. Conformation.
Module 2 The Grass Kept Horse
Care at grass, fencing,shelter, watering arrangements, grasses, fertilisation, pasture management. Ailments affecting the horse at grass: laminitis, mud fever, cracked heels,sweet itch.
Module 3 Equine Nutrition
The digestive system, digestion, constituents of feedstuffs, calculating feed rations, rules of feeding, hay. Internal parasites. Colic.
Module 4 Horse Health
Signs of good and ill health, vaccinations, maintaining health, hygiene, inherent behaviour. Teeth, ageing and care of the teeth.
Module 5 Saddlery
Fitting, care and uses of different items of tack. Bits, bitting. Problems caused by ill-fitting saddlery.
Module 6 The Foot, Shoeing and Lameness
Anatomy of the lower leg and foot, reasons for shoeing, procedure. Recognising lameness, identifying and treating the cause.
Module 7 Anatomy and Physiology
Skeletal structure – bones, joints, tendons, ligaments. Muscular structure and function. Cardiovascular, respiratory systems,structure and function. Urinary, nervous,sensory systems.
Module 8 Fittening the Horse
Fittening programmes, interval training. Lungeing. Care before, during and after a competition. Travelling, loading, unloading.
Module 9 Safety
Accident prevention in the stable, yard, field, when loading, travelling, whilst riding. Fire prevention and action. Manual handling. Personal protective equipment and clothing. Accident Report Book. Health and Safety at Work Act 1994.
Enrolment and Fees
Enrolments are accepted for all courses anytime throughout the year.
Following enrolment, you will receive access to online course information and course material.