Senior Horsemaster’s Course 2
The course is designed to provide:
- This course covers much of the BHS Stable Manager Certificate (BHSSM)
- To build upon the knowledge gained during SHM1
- Please note that it is not mandatory to complete SHM1 before starting SHM2
SHM2 is ideal for:
|Academic Level:||Further Education Level 4|
|Number of units/modules:||6|
|Study Hours per Unit:||130|
|Course Duration:||Maximum of 36 months to complete course requirements|
|Study Week Requirements:||Optional Higher Education Study Week|
The course is divided into modules which consist of:
- Detailed illustrated text.
- In-text questions for you to answer and in-text activities to complete as you work through the material. Separate answer sheets are provided at the end of each module.
- One work assignment per module.
- Referring to the course material, you complete the work assignments at your own pace and submit each in turn for marking and assessment. Your work is carefully checked by qualified tutors, graded where appropriate and returned to you with detailed feedback.
- English speaking
- aged 18 or more – there is no upper age limit
- interested in learning more about horse care and management
Module / Unit Details
This is a TOCES Certificate course. You will be awarded a graded TOCES certificate upon completion of the course. This will be of value to prospective employers as well as to you personally as it reflects your commitment to study. Please note that although TOCES Certificate courses do not result in a validated qualification, the course material is of the same high standard as our validated programmes through BTEC, the BHS and City and Guilds.
Study from home or school
Fit study in around your current commitments and while you gain practical experience in the equine industry.
Full course support
Our dedicated student support tutors are available to assist you throughout your studies. Keep in touch with fellow students too!
Learn while you earn
Continue to work full, part time or volunteer!
Module 1 Anatomy and Physiology
Skeletal structure, musculature, circulatory, respiratory, nervous,sensory, endocrine and urinary systems.
Module 2 Horse Management
Inherent behaviour, grassland management and conformation
Module 3 Equine Nutrition
The nutrients and digestion, feedstuffs and rationing.
Module 4 Health and Fitness
Equine first aid, health and disease, fittening for performance, lameness
Module 5 Equine Reproduction
Selection of breeding stock, reproductive anatomy, covering procedure, pregnancy, foaling and management of youngstock.
Module 6 Equestrian Business Management
Business planning, financial management, business and the law, health and safety at work
Enrolment and Fees
Enrolments are accepted for all courses anytime throughout the year.
Following enrolment, you will receive access to online course information and course material.