Novice Short Course Anatomy and Physiology
The course is designed to provide:
- a straightforward introductory course suitable for anyone wishing to establish foundation knowledge in equine anatomy and physiology
The short course is ideal for:
- Inexperienced students from the age of 16 years
- Students at the start of training with little or no knowledge of equine anatomy and physiology
|Academic Level:||Further Education Level 2|
|Number of units/modules:||3|
|Study Hours per Unit:||15|
|Course Duration:||Maximum of 12 months to complete course requirements|
|Study Week Requirements:||Optional Stable Management Study Days|
The course is divided into modules which consist of:
- Detailed illustrated text.
- In-text questions for you to answer and in-text activities to complete as you work through the material. Separate answer sheets are provided at the end of each module.
- One work assignment per module.
- Referring to the course material, you complete the work assignments at your own pace and submit each in turn for marking and assessment. Your work is carefully checked by qualified tutors, graded where appropriate and returned to you with detailed feedback.
- English speaking
- aged 14 or more – there is no upper age limit
- interested in learning more about horse care and management
Module / Unit Details
This is a TOCES Certificate course. You will be awarded a graded TOCES certificate upon completion of the course. This will be of value to prospective employers as well as to you personally as it reflects your commitment to study. Please note that although TOCES Certificate courses do not result in a validated qualification, the course material is of the same high standard as our validated programmes through BTEC, the BHS and City and Guilds.
Study from home or school
Fit study in around your current commitments and while you gain practical experience in the equine industry.
Full course support
Our dedicated student support tutors are available to assist you throughout your studies. Keep in touch with fellow students too!
Learn while you earn
Continue to work full, part time or volunteer!
Module 1 Equine Musculo-skeletal Structure
Anatomical points of the horse, position and function of the main internal organs. Skeletal structure. Joints. Structure and function of the foot. Connective tissue – muscles, tendons, ligaments.
Module 3 The Nervous and Sensory Systems
Structure and function of the eyes, ears, nostrils, skin. Structure and function of the central nervous system.
Module 2 Circulatory and Respiratory Systems
Structure and functions of the heart, blood vessels and blood. Structure and function of the upper and lower respiratory tracts.
Enrolment and Fees
Enrolments are accepted for all courses anytime throughout the year
Following enrolment, you will receive access to online course information and course material
- Online access to all course materials
- Tutor support